Thursday, June 24, 2010

Return to Something Resembling Normal

I spend most of my days in school learning about circuitry components (very, very basic level) and troubleshooting circuit cards. I establish this because a friend of my sister's excitedly asked the other day, "Are you in Iraq?" Er, no. Chicago, actually. "Oh. Well, that's like Iraq!"

...

On the note of circuit cards, we had a fun one today. A diode is...hmm. Kind of like a policeman holding a one-way sign for signal on your current path - you can go through one way, but if you try to reverse it, he'll get mad. If you reverse it with too much traffic, he'll explode. I would totally play that video game. The exception is a zener diode, which is made to take more of that reverse traffic, but it will get very hot. One of my classmates today managed to not only burn herself on a diode, she burned it into her finger. The imprint was perfect. At this point, we regretted that it was a Zener diode, because regular junction diodes have a code printed on them, and her burn was so detailed that we would have been able to see the numbers.

Incidentally, the practice of "branding" is, in fact, forbidden by Navy uniform regulations.

...

Class takes a lung-snack break (those of us who can't have lung-snacks make a run on the vending machines downstairs - our nation's military runs on energy drinks), and one of my already-graduated friends is cleaning the P-way. He picks me out of the crowd, and begins swabbing in larger circles, blocking my path, and claiming in his Gandalf-voice, "You...shall...not...pass!"

I consider this. And take the opportunity to stand on his swab. "You shall not mop!"

"Um." He looks around quick. "I...I have things to do."

"Yep!" I cheerfully respond. "You have to defeat the Balmop! Or the Moprog. Whatever!"

"Um. You should...I'm going to get in trouble."

"Do I look like a Balrog to you?"

My friend is forced to conclude that I am a little short for a Balrog.

"Good. Now that that's established..." I grin and walk off.

No comments: