Tuesday, June 22, 2010

It's Okay To Be Sad

Stupid songs to listen to after your friend's death: Vitamin C - Graduation. It's supposed to be sweet and silly to cry over it your senior year - talking about memories and going on in life when one of your circle of friends just bowed out of this life was really not a good choice by the 'random' mix.

One of my buds is really trying to help. I think trying to tell people how to feel must be a guy thing. I have heard six different reasons why I should be happy and what I should be doing with my emotions right nowHe sees it as an affront when people worry, because then they're not counting on God. I think he's also a little baffled whenever I'm not happy, because that's the normal Firefly setting, and anything but normal must need to be tweaked, right?

So, as gently as I could, I explained, "We learned this one from Jesus. Remember? His friend died, and He knew the twist ending, but it was still okay to be sad. Y'gotta remember that. Sometimes, it's okay to be sad. It's not a dangerous condition that you have to fix right away, and you don't have to have all the answers. My friend left unexpectedly. I'm going to miss him, and I wish we could have talked again before he had to go. I'm happy that he's out of [the stress]*, and I'm happy that I'll get to see him again. But right now, it's okay to be sad. You don't have to fix it."

He didn't really get it. Oh well.

*We tend to refer to this life, in contrast to the next, as "Boot Camp."

No comments: