Saturday, April 10, 2010

Not-feratu

Another friend would be Rice, a guy I met at church.

We both have an odd, understated sense of humor*. We had lunch together, and I introduced him to my friend "Julia-she's-engaged**" and K-13 (this is the handling of any name that would be difficult to pronounce - K13's name is 14 letters long and the first one is K. Actually, in a quirk of the rule, hers is pretty easy to pronounce, but just about impossible to read.)

So, I got to see Van Helsing this week. I now wish to be Ana for Halloween (that'll have to wait until I can have long hair again), and I've had a couple of really impressive dreams about vampires chasing me through fantastic, mazelike cathedrals. Julia and I were having a chat about how creepy it can be standing night watches.

Note about the USS Franklin: used to be a hotel. It's divided into two buildings - the students in one are entirely male, and half the population of the other is female. It's a rather old hotel, and a little unnerving late at night. We've had talk of remaking The Shining on the fourth floor. During the day, it's actually pretty decent. At night, when you're the only one walking the floor...you sort of feel your nerves creep up your spine, and you expect deadly clowns to leap out of unlocked supply closets at you. The very next door you try could be your last...

So, Rice and I are sitting next to each other, and I pointed out that Julia is easily startled - a runaway hedgehog would frighten her. She just laughs, and agrees, "Yeah..."

But the seed is planted! And on a napkin, we created the legendary Hogferatu. Drinks the blood of slugs (this being the case, we have no idea what good the wings are, but they look very impressive.) Curls up in a spiny ball to sleep away the long daylight hours. Hides in closets and under birdbaths in rainy gardens. 30-inch wingspan.

I blame Rice. He blames me. Julia is convinced we're both insane. We are enormously entertained.



*To those of you who snerk at this, I remind you that it is not my only sense of humor. I have dry, goofy, whimsical, mischievous, and British. Also, nerd, band-geek, biologist, and historian, but unless you're in the right circle, those are best not mentioned.

**No one's quite sure why, but we all introduce Julia this way. Possibly to explain the slightly moonstruck expression that will show up on her face from time to time, or the business where she can't stop texting for more than eight minutes. Said engagement became reality while she was in Boot Camp (don't ask), so she tends to glow a lot.

No comments: