Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Got Another One

I seem to attract Eagle Scouts.

Not the usual "boy, pretty girl" attraction - no, this just seems to be more like a magnet passing over a pile of Katamari-style junk, and pulling out the metal filings from among the detritus.

My best friend, favorite tenor sax, sister's boyfriend, female best friend's husband...the list goes on. Of course, there is also the possibility that they're simply everywhere. Ross assures me that this is because if you're male and Mormon, you're going to be an Eagle Scout, and Mormons are everywhere. I question not his logic, but his information.

Anyway, I seem to have picked up another one. Started with a day when he took my watch long enough for me to tuck into some toast. Another day, we were standing one of those watches that doesn't really require anything more than a living body, and spent most of it arguing over a Sudoku. (He wanted to do it in pen. This is fine if you're brilliant, but I'm not brilliant - I'm just OCD and hate having scribbles all over my Sudoku.) We randomly ran into each other a couple of times at chow, chatted about our individual camp experiences. I have gotten crap from my friends because they come into the galley and see me eating with a guy they don't know.

Interestingly, he also seems to be carrying the notion that I'm 19. (I say "also" because my roommates voiced this opinion when I mentioned that tomorrow will be my birthday.) I don't know how I keep giving this impression - everyone in Sheridan thought the same thing.

People at Camp, on the other hand, think I'm twenty-five. Muahaha.

But! I have a friend! And, more importantly, I have a friend who's more than six feet tall, so I have a useful friend! This week, we've been painting, and it's splendid to have someone to spackle and sand the places I can't reach, so that I don't have to go find the stupid ladder. (I say stupid not because the ladder is stupid, but because the business of having one ladder in the entire ship is stupid.) This is also highly useful in crowds of people - my Dad serves the same purpose.

Admittedly, I have a friend who gives me crap over just about anything, but he's helpful when it's needed, so, this is good!

No comments: