Friday, January 8, 2010

"Somehow I'll Find My Way Home."

Took about forty minutes to get home from Stewie last night. Completely forgot that the friend whose house I'd left had asked that I call when I get home. So tired, struggling to make the last two miles awake. Crashed nearly the minute I got in.

Next morning, I remember, "Ooops. S'posed to call Ethan." Pick up my phone. Observe that I have no reception (not uncommon in this house), but that I do have...nine missed calls. Yep. From Ethan. Oops.

I'm really not used to having anyone worry about me. This has become apparent over the last semester. I groan when I have to break from what's expected because something came up, but unless it's work-related, I forget to let anyone know. The fact that people notice when I'm missing is so weird. I'm used to being the resident spook around the music department - if you can't find her, no big, you know she's around someplace.

I also suffer from a delusion that says that, as long as you go slowly enough, you can get through ANY snowstorm. Probably not an absolute white-out, but quarter-mile visibility? No problem! Admittedly, sometimes "going slowly enough" means that you're breaking a trail by foot instead of driving, but I still remain convinced that you should be able to cover the distance without property damage.

This would likely not be the case if I still lived among the Rockies. Here, everything is very close to level, unless you're near a river. If I took the back roads, yes, it would be a frightening experience. Highways, eh, there's some traffic, there's plows, we'll take it slow, no problem.

There WAS a problem with staying awake, but I made it home without banging into anything, so I'm not concerned about that, either. Filing it away for future reference, though.

My relatively cavalier attitude about awful weather reassures some people, and completely freaks out the rest. But, I live in the Midwest. Minnesotans, by stereotype, are very calm people, who keep their opinions under wraps. If you disagree with a person, you don't SAY that you disagree, you simply state your opinion once and move on to something else. So, the worriers go unnoticed.

Until you wake up and find nine missed calls on your cell phone in the morning.

No comments: