Monday, January 4, 2010

Got a question today.

One of those quirky Internet questions, that you just answer so people can see your answer.

What's the Best and Worst thing about being single?

Best is easy. There've been all kinds of cool things that've happened in the past ten months. There's a crazy kind of freedom in being able to move anywhere, or tackle any kind of new adventure. It's also supercool to be on the new adventures together - I'm not arguing that at all. But I'm doing things now that practically depend on me being single, otherwise half my brain (not to mention my heart) would be back here.

Worst, you could say is being lonely.
But, actually, what really bites is when you're in a committed relationship, and you're lonely.

Worst, you could say is when all of your friends are dating. Actually, that's actually okay. It's when everyone starts getting married, and suddenly not only do you not fit so well because you're not married, you don't even have a shot at getting married in the next year. There are three girls from Camp that were my close friends - two are getting married this year, and the third moved to the other side of the country. Very happy for all three of them, hoping to go to both their weddings, but we'll just be such different places in life now, except we won't - it's just getting married, right? That shouldn't change anything between us.




But you know on some level it's going to. And that's the worst. It's not that being single is bad. It's just missing your friends, and trying to explain that you're happy for them while still wishing they were here. "Well, you can't want BOTH." Why not? I want both. I want them to be happy, and I want us all to be friends. What's so hard about that?

And I know *I* don't want to be married for a good while yet. Say, oh, thirty years. That might work.

No comments: