Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Because WE'RE not morbid or anything...

Petroglyph.

Whatever I said I wanted done with my body before, still stands. But there raises the issue of the memorial.

I'm not all that keen on having a headstone that, 200 years from now, will take up space. I have come to accept the notion that I barely remember my great-grandfather, and haven't any idea what he did with his life, so my great-grandkids will probably have a similar view of me.

But, enough people have suggested that they'd like some solid spot to go to in order to have the traditional one-sided chat with me and discuss such deep and weighty matters as, "What's with all the rice?" So, let's go with the petroglyph. Doesn't need to have my name (especially if you know the sign for "Firefly" to go with it), just something fairly cool that I'd be doing.

We don't have a family plot out here. There's probably a couple back on the East coast, but when my Dad got transferred and moved out here, we moved nearly a thousand miles away from ANYBODY that we're related to. I'd be rather irritated if my remains did get buried in one of those steel safes that we now use as coffins. Can you say overkill?

All right, I'll probably be too distracted at that point to care much what they do with my body. But, seriously, if it's too complicated to be biodegradable, you're doin' it wrong.

But yeah. Just for the sake of random. Find some hideously out-of-the-way spot on Camp property (you've got 200 acres to work with - I'm thinking something about six inches tall), draw something fun, cheerful, spirited, whatever, and as permanent as you like, let it be the Remembering Spot that everyone seems to want for this generation and possibly the next, and in later generations it'll be this random cool pic on a rock that kids find. And, no, I don't particularly care if they deface it, because that's what kids do.

No comments: