Sunday, January 17, 2010

Community

Faramir and I were up 'til about four, and a sizeable portion of the conversation involved church.

One of the more marvelous aspects of my brain will be what it produces for conversation in the wee hours of the morning. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Faramir did not call the nice men in the white coats after encountering this phenomenon.

I'm just...mmm. I'm starting to get an idea of how much I really NEED to be with other believers. I kind of had that with the Harvesters, and I definitely have it with Camp, but what if there aren't any in where I'm headed next?

There's something about real community, too. The difference between the nice social group that gets together for the once-a-week Bible Study, and the people who are in there fighting with you or holding you together when a kid's looking at depression or going home to an abusive situation you can't do anything about. The people who live with you so much that you don't even bother trying to impress them, because they've seen you go through the worst stuff, and they know the real you. The nice social group, you feel obligated to be all nice and social with them, like they would get scared off like a flock of doves if you were real.

They're not REALLY like that. They can't be. But we've all been nice and social, and we've never been anything else, so I have no idea how deep or strong they are. I KNOW the kinds of depths in Ducky and Sport - they've had my back, cared for their friends or campers in ways I've seen, and I know from experience they can take how rough my life can be - how rough I can be.

And they can't come with me, where I'm going.

No comments: