Monday, January 11, 2010

Golden Pond

Not surprisingly, my Dad's in another show.

To those who don't know my Dad so well, he ended up getting tremendously typecast all through high school for his splendid portrayal of "Doc" in West Side Story. By nature, Dad's pretty much a blending of George Bailey and Elwood P. Dowd (both portrayed by Jimmy Stewart). But he cranks out a good villain, and generally has fun with every role.

Now, he's playing Norman in Golden Pond. Norman is, simply, a curmudgeon, who bounces gaily between being insulting, morbid, and playful. He's verbally offensive, and his racist comments would get him shot today.

Me: "I'm trying to figure out how YOU got cast for this."

Dad: "I wanted it!"

Me: "..."

Unfortunately, the production doesn't open until February, so I'll miss it.

No comments: