Friday, May 7, 2010

Tension Can't Hold

In the last two weeks, there's been an impressive amount of rule-breaking aboard the ship. Which means that now, the ship is not a very happy place to be. Tension's running high, SDCs are carefully monitoring watches, we're a hair's breadth away from losing a lot of weekend liberty, and everyone feels like they're right on the verge of getting in trouble. Nope, not a happy place to be.

Unless you're a Firefly.

"Hey, how are you?" Julia, randomly running into me in the P-way between our rooms.
"I'm happy! I have an apple."
"You always have an apple. Every time I see you, you have an apple."
"Obviously, this is why I'm always happy!"

This is the best part about our digis. The pockets. Especially the cargo pockets. No, wait - the parka pockets are the best. As long as you're choosing non-messy or prewrapped food, you can fit two square meals in the pockets of a parka, and use the cargo pockets of your trousers for the third.

Also, thanks to blousing straps, the entire pant leg converts to a pocket, so long as you're not carrying anything heavier than what a blousing strap can hold. But, I do almost always have an apple in a cargo pocket. It's less messy than oatmeal.

So, there are still some of us who are finding little ways to enjoy ourselves, in the midst of heightened tension. This is good, because in our room, somebody's royally irked with her boyfriend, and has been fighting with him via phone for the last hour and a half. I have taken the opportunity to utilize mom-roommate's internet, since she said it was cool once her downloads finished, and likely won't be back before morning.

At some point, she's explaining why he's making her mad, and how he's pushing her to the point where she could kill somebody out there, "But I'm sick and so I can't go!" Argument seems to be centered on him being a control-freak, ironically.

"And then I'm just going to have to kill the closest person to me, which is Bro! No offense, Bro."
"No worries." I half-grin, not looking up. "I'll just run like a squirrel." This is my usual method of self-defense.
"Yeah, that's right! And she's a runner, and I won't be able to catch her, so that'll just **** me off even more!!"

But, I mentally reason, I'll be a half-mile away by that point, so, I'll have found something else to play with by then!

Times fun when you're having fun!

(The Tautology Club is the Tautology Club.)

No comments: