Thursday, April 30, 2009

Psyched!

Well, I'm now excited.

There was never any question of me just blowing Camp off entirely this summer, but I was thinking that I'd only be out there on a volunteer basis, weekends and that sort of thing.

A few other events fell together in ways that I really hadn't expected, and after talking it out with someone who knows me well ("Hi Mom!"), I decided to give Twinks (Tracie) a holler and see if she could use me for any of the summer.

This led to me getting scheduled for almost the entire summer. There's one week where they prefer that all the staff be college graduates. I may see if I can be a camper that week, just for a change of pace. There's something of a family event in June, so I have that first week off - the rest of the summer, right up to the weekend before school starts, I'm at Camp.

I state again: I am excited.

On top of this, I'm doing ropes again. Boo-yah.

Or, in the vernacular out here, Yee-haw.

And, to add yet another notch to the excitement, I'm cabin counseling. Usually, at camp, I bounce around a lot, a week at a time. Might be in the kitchen this week, cabin counseling this other week, do a week of just ropes, etc - but always returning to Day Camp. Which is fun, but cabin counseling's my favorite. You get to know your campers so much more, among other things.

Of course, it also has the most demanding schedule. With Day Camp, after seven at night, I just had some responsibilities to take care of - I didn't need to be in charge of anyone. Cabin counseling is being responsible for a dozen girls 22.5 hours of the day. If Twinks keeps this same schedule (they tend to be a little flexible), this will most definitely be a summer of stretching and growing for me.

This essentially has the summer booked. I'm home for a day, and then I'm off to Camp. Annnnd then after that, I can have Saturdays with the family or doing whatever non-Camp-related stuff needs doing. It's a little intense. We say, "Camp is life," but it really is for those three months.

And I love it. :D

No comments: