Saturday, May 16, 2009

Eradication Education

Today I learned that one can clear out unwanted ants' nests and/or weeds by pouring boiling water on them, as opposed to various marketed chemical compounds. It was something of a, "So simple, that's brilliant!" notion for me. Clearly, there remains much in this world for me to learn.

Mind, this also effectively nukes whatever microorganisms are in the soil underneath, so if it's an area where you want plants to grow again, it'll be a few weeks. The intended application of this was Things That Come Up in Sidewalk Cracks.

Maybe it's just from living in Wyoming, but I tend to be drawn to solutions that are both simplistic and leave little environmental damage. So, I've been responding to this with childlike enthusiasm. Fortunately, my family is still in the stage of being glad that I'm home, otherwise this would likely be driving them nuts.

I also have an experimental reflex that, given its way, would probably keep me from living to see thirty...as soon as I heard that this could be used to get rid of ants' nests, I wondered what would happen if it were tried on hornets' nests. I believe that one goes under, "Not Recommended."

No comments: