Thursday, April 16, 2009

Need a Hand?

Difficult to say exactly how Ross and I became such fast friends. We'd both lost a friend last year, and each had our own variation now on treasuring the people around you, because you never know how long they'll be there. This blended with the history we both had of working at camps - mine Christian, his BSA - the love of woods, fun we have with kids, and enjoyment of climbing.

Ross is also a member of the Order of the Arrow, which is kind of like the honor society of Boy Scouts. The fourth purpose of the OA is, "to crystallize the Scout habit of helpfulness into a life purpose of leadership in cheerful service to others," and that's Ross all over. He's naturally given to giving, helping, and serving. It's just the way he is, and he will often become mildly annoyed with anyone who tries to praise him for it.

One of the results of this combination - drive to serve and treasuring the people around you - is that I should remember to never ask him to do ANYTHING for me unless I'm okay with him doing everything that could be considered necessary for the task to be completed.

In this case, I spent Tuesday night and most of Wednesday rather sick, and Thursday ridiculously so. Since I really couldn't drive, I asked Ross if he could give me a ride to pick up some Dramamine and crackers on his usual Thursday-night-Taco-Bell-run. That was it! I just asked for a ride! He asked me what I had for food at that time. He then proceeded to go get half my grocery list, refuse to pick me up because I apparently need more rest, concocted an elaborately entertaining story about why I would never get to see the receipt, and remained very put-out that he hadn't managed to drag the other half out of me.

Admittedly, sometimes, when Ross is being helpful, he's very annoying about it. He's explained that if I would just accept him being helpful with a simple, "Thank you!" he wouldn't have to be such a nuisance.

I think it's part of growing up in a society that prizes independence, but I have a hard time accepting it when someone clearly goes out of their way to do something nice for me. I sincerely appreciate it, but I'm also not entirely comfortable with it. Ross has been working on breaking that mentality for the last seven months. :)

No comments: