Saturday, October 2, 2010

Fall! Again!!

I say again; I LOVE this season.

Let it be noted, I am in the minority on this. At least, on this base. It seems that between 65-85% of the student population hail from Florida, Texas, or California. I went to the galley tonight to meet my friend - I was wearing running shorts and a t-shirt. He was wearing jeans, an overcoat, and a stocking hat. I stood a four-hour quarterdeck watch this afternoon, and nearly every person who came in had something to the effect of, "*%$! it's cold!!" I got outside, and was so happy I had to run - this weather's perfect. I was thinking it'd be another case of northern-bravado, where I'd be acting like I wasn't cold while my skin turned blue, but this was actually great. Love this kind of weather. Makes you want to run five miles and then just stop and look around you, taking it all in.

And then wonder, "Where the heck am I?" :P

In months to come, I will be transferred to another command. The two most likely options from here do not have seasons. Virginia tries, all right, I understand, you don't have that much to work with. San Diego sneers at the concept of changing seasons. What nonsense. If you want winter, go up in the mountains. If you want summer, it's right here - much more convenient for driving, biking, and wearing cute little summer dresses in January.

They have a point. But I'm rather stuck on this business of Mother Earth changing her gown, as Charlotte says.

And I love Fall. Love, love, love. The air hasn't quite gotten down to "brisk" yet over here, but it's managed "crisp" a few times. I love the leaves turning, and the image they present scattered on the grass. Everything in me says that I should be wearing rugged boots, rugged jeans, and some fairly solid overshirt, and go clambering off through the woods. Even if it's just over to Quarry Hill on the breaks between classes - trees are where I'm supposed to be right now.

For now, I have to wear my digis, and keep my boots clean, and stay on base. In years to come, I will be deployed during this season at times, which means that I'll completely miss it (or see some very different translations of it), but the time will come, my friends. I will return, and possibly retreat back into the Bighorns (hello beautiful hiking!), and there will be falling leaves and the smell of fresh dirt and woodsmoke once again!

No comments: