Thursday, October 7, 2010

Mmmph. Morning.

If I could practice being kind to people in the face of exhaustion, to the point where the more tired I am, the nicer I get, and make that part of my personality - that alone could make all the physiological abuse of a military lifestyle worthwhile.

Had a watch today on two hours of sleep. My relief failed to manifest at the appropriate time. But Camp memories grab you sometimes. One of the big things that got me last summer was a conversation with Tails at breakfast, when he'd been up the entire night counseling a friend. He was indeed falling asleep on the breakfast table, but anytime anyone roused him because they needed something (or, y'know, they're kids, and everyone just loves Tails), he was kind, and did his best to engage with them. He didn't make a big deal about the lack of sleep - as far as I know, he didn't tell anyone but me.

So, I'm still tired. And I'm going to be running until Saturday night, it seems (Friday's going to be another short night). But I'm actually pretty happy. And if I could make this a regular practice, it might become a regular part of character. That's something that I can definitely see as a good trait to carry around.

No comments: