Sunday, August 18, 2013

Thankful for Wheels

Jewel's going on a much-needed vacation this week. I'm very glad she's taking the time off - work's been driving us all into the ground lately. We normally ride in together, and so I was thinking of utilizing the place I'd been staying before moving into Jewel's, that I never officially moved out of (the paperwork is a little ridiculous, so I might be waiting until January, but I'd like to free it up for someone else).

I couldn't figure out why this idea had me so badly stressed. It's only for a week, I tried to tell myself. I lived there for months beforehand. I have a much nicer setup than a lot of other people there - there's nothing to complain about. It'll mean I get to sleep a little later in the mornings, and be closer to the gym, and...and why is this stressing me out so bad, anyhow?

Tonight was the three of us - Gentleman, Dawn, and I - playing at word games on the dining table, and I was scampering back and forth betwixt packing and socializing (house rules are that the guys don't go upstairs, which I entirely appreciate, as that's where I live).

And at some point, the Gentleman asked if I needed help, and I spilled that I was stressed about moving back for a week. His ready response was to offer me the use of his car.

And I initially demurred, but one more trip to the laundry room, and how overwhelmed I was feeling, and how much of a load of stress it would be off my shoulders...I came back and timidly asked if it would really be okay and he didn't need it for the week.

Like me, he also hasn't officially moved out. The Gentleman lives with Corpsmentor's family - by irony, they're one exit away from where I work, and Jewel's house is one exit away from where the Gentleman works. If Jewel didn't leave at such an early hour, we'd be crossing paths (well, on a divided freeway) every morning. But, living with Corpsmentor does require the use of a vehicle. And we're both agreed that we grow a lot more in the presence of these friends than alone. The one key difference - one of the reasons to live with Corpsmentor is to get extra hangout time and experience with the kids. He doesn't get a lot of sleep there, so he'll usually still take one night or two back at the old place.

But, if I had the use of his car for the week, I could still be living at Jewel's.

And with that, a terrific load of stress came off. Living at Jewel's is a good place to be.

There's so much to be thankful for.

No comments: