Monday, August 19, 2013

Thankful for Perspective

First morning driving in - stayed up an hour later, now knowing that I could wake up half an hour later (yeah, that's my math).

The Gentleman has a practice of calling at about half an hour before they sound the trumpet on the nearby military base - because he knows that I'll be up then - just to say good morning. Every day, at least, every day that he knows that I'm going in to work. (He also ends this, every time, by asking me to be safe at work. I work in a relatively dangerous area. One of the practices of our relationship is that every time we see each other, we know it might be the last time, so we keep that in mind with how we treat each other.)

Partway through this call, I was gratefully thanking him for the use of his car (also, driving in at dawn is fun, and pretty, and feels good), and somewhat apologizing because I couldn't figure out why I was having such a hard time dealing with the alternative.

And, diplomatically, he carefully reminded me of some of the events of Saturday, and that we were both pretty heart-bruised.

And he knows my heart heals in the presence of Jewel and Dawn. Slowly, like a plant under sunlight, prolonged exposure just lifts. There wasn't anything BAD about where I was living before - just an absence of that. Just...nothing. There's nothing there but me. I can't lift myself.

I'd forgotten that we were both still hurting from Saturday, because we'd all been laughing Sunday night, and had a cheerful, "Hey you," conversation Monday morning.

There's so much to be thankful for.

No comments: