Saturday, December 18, 2010

Travel Saga

Herein lies the adventure of one Firefly, traveling from her current base to home address.

My base is a training command, which means that we CAN take what's referred to as "Christmas Standdown" - nearly all of the base shuts down for two weeks. This is by no means the case with every military base. One of the girls in my class (former Aviation Technician) showed me her squadron's patch - it was a calendar month with a different image representing every well-known holiday, with a red "no" symbol superimposed over it, and their squadron name beneath. That year, they had flown on every holiday.

The actual dates of standdown are not generally released until mid-November. This is a source of irritation for anyone who wants to fly home - is it best to purchase tickets early, securing a good price but risking having the dates wrong? Or would it be better to wait, have to pay more, but have the dates for sure? Of course the latter is safer, but the general saying is that the two most important things to a Sailor are his time* and his money - because the Navy doesn't give us much of either. :)

*Much closer to the truth are "his girlfriend, and his family," at least for the guys I know, and they prefer having their time and money to spend with these two parties.

I am fortunate - taking the bus is a conceivable option. There's a nice little element of the Midwest referred to as Megabus - it doesn't exactly run on time, nor do they have designated depots, but they're decently warm, fabulously affordable, and sometimes even have Wi-Fi (not always, it must be noted, but sometimes). Ticket purchase ended up being an adventure in and of itself - internet is by no means a sure thing in my life.

The adventure begins Thursday. The past few days, we've been busy setting our rooms aright for this break - in essence, giving the appearance that no one lives there. While both of my roommates are done with their responsibilities at noon, this is in fact when my classes begin (having been moved up for the day).

Some massive shifts regarding my curriculum begin in January - we elected to switch our schedule up a bit and take one of the shorter units this week, rather than the one that was originally scheduled and would have had us testing the day after we returned. Too short a unit, it turned out - we finished and tested a day early. A rare fluff day - we spent it watching Master & Commander, and then released to a short field day on the schoolhouse. I spent the hour polishing two solid brass Howitzers captured off a Confederate ship during the Civil War.

Met with a few friends for pizza that evening, a sort of last hurrah. Over the course of the night, I got nearly 40 minutes of sleep. Reveille was at 0200, superiors wanted us out of the barracks at 0400, my bus ticket was for noon. Brilliant.

David and I were going to take the train into Chicago together, but this meant first schlepping our stuff the two miles from our barracks to the station. This is a simple matter for me, with my solitary backpack and laptop. Not so for David, who is hauling over 250 pounds between his sea bag and two overstuffed backpacks. (David is a foot taller than I am, and we weigh exactly the same. He has years of backpacking experience, but this is still quite the load he's hauling.)

We barely made the first train - really, it was only because of the press of sailors already waiting that we did. I imagine the ride in was uneventful - I slept through it. On David's sea bag.

Having arrived in central Chicago, we discovered that 1) Booters cannot be trusted to wear a dress blue uniform properly through a train station, and 2) Breakfast was in order. In the time it took to consume bagels and coffee (coffee for me, for David, the worst cup of tomato juice he claims he's ever had), we encountered a half-dozen other friends from base. Cheers!

Parted then, he to O'Hare, I to Union Station. To wait. And try desperately hard NOT to fall asleep. I'd elected NOT to travel in uniform (were I flying, that would be different), and it was kind of nice to not be noticed.

Four hours, six pages of journaling, a long conversation with a longer-distance friend, and a path-crossing with one very attractive Marine later, it was time to meet my bus. Or...so I thought. As stated, Megabus doesn't always run on time. The Megabus to Memphis was just pulling away as I arrived at the corner. Twenty minutes later, the 1140 bus arrived. Those of us headed to Minneapolis slightly cheered at this - a sign that our bus had neither vanished nor arrived early, but was running ridiculously late. But, had I known that I would be standing in the snow for an extra hour, I would likely NOT have worn my soon-to-be-retired running shoes.

I don't actually own a pair of nonmilitary boots. It's on my to-do list for this break.

Forty minutes late, our bus arrived. I climbed up to the second deck, found a window seat, and almost immediately kicked off my shoes and hid my sock-clad feet under the seat in front of me, in hopes that some feeling might return to my soaked toes before frostbite set in. Being from Minnesota, you feel a little stupid admitting that you didn't properly dress for the weather.

My seatmate turned out to have been a stage-management major in college, and then moved on to nonprofit humanitarian work (two years teaching English and theater in Romania with the Peace Corps, among a lot of other cool things). Very cool conversation, comparing some of what she does with nonprofit with the way things run at Camp (I was wearing both a Camp hoodie and t-shirt*).

*This was actually not planned - I just own more Camp t-shirts than anything else.

There's something so, so nice about having someone waiting to pick you up when your bus/plane/train arrives. You're perfectly capable of making your way the last leg if you had to, but the fact that someone cared enough to meet you, and is happy to see you...wow.

We don't really do, "happy to see you," on base. It's dangerous to be too happy, it attracts attention. You can do a, "Hey, cool, you're here," or if you're feeling especially good, you can divert it into sarcasm. We divert everything into sarcasm - the more emotional we are, the more we sound like jerks. It's like a code where we interpret it and bond over it, but it's a whole lot safer than actually expressing what's going on. The fact that you're somewhere where people DO means that you're safe again.

Dad and I spent a most enjoyable ride home. Everything from Dr. Demento to discussions about Catholicism. Dad and I can talk for hours about anything...as long as we're in the same room. We're awful at phone conversations.

But now, I am home. And it doesn't feel weird at all - really, it feels as though I never left. :)

No comments: