Friday, July 23, 2010

For you...

I'm strengthening my faith.
I'm getting a good education, to get a better job, to support whatever family it needs to.
I'm working hard.
I'm maintaining my health to the best of my abilities.
I'm lengthening my endurance.
I'm pushing my patience.
I'm pursuing my passion.
I'm learning to love.
I'm increasing my wisdom.
I'm praying.
I'm enduring.
I'm hurting.
I'm mending.
I'm growing.
I'm honing my skills.
I'm pursuing.
I'm singing.
I'm crying.
I'm laughing.
I'm trying.
I'm running.
I'm struggling.
I'm yearning.
I'm doing the menial tasks.
I'm making the most important decisions of my life.
I'm sacrificing.
I'm planning.
I'm saving me.
I'm offering what heart I have.
I'm living.

For You,
For you.

-----

This isn't mine at all. My friend Tater wrote it back in 2007, and I was moved and inspired. Hung it up in my locker at school, sealed to the door with packing tape so that I'd see it every day before Band.

There's a lot about finding the right partner, or what makes him a good partner, what to look for in a mate. Camp and Berean (they both sort of happened at the same time) were the first places where friends and I started really talking about what it would mean to focus instead on becoming a good partner, putting more energy into preparing ourselves for them than seeking them.

We tended to focus even more on the concept that none of us have any real idea what mountains God's going to want us climbing, so, we wanted to get ourselves as strong, as fast, as flexible as we knew how (not just physically). I sometimes think we misunderstood the concept of having God as our strength, but other times I'm convinced that God calls us to do the best we can, give Him our best, and let Him take care of everything beyond our best.

Anyway, this was written by a guy in college. And I'm a girl in the military. But almost all of it rings true here, too.

No comments: